By Heather Maxon
A summertime staple for picnics, potlucks and parties, this classic side dish is made in no time by steaming the potatoes and foregoing the time consuming process of peeling them. Herbs, garlic, whole-grain mustard and lemon are added to non-dairy mayonnaise, creating a zesty, flavorful dressing. The result when the two coalesce is a light and refreshing potato salad and a perfect dish to pass at any summer gathering.
- 10 medium potatoes cut into ½ cubes
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 4-5 radishes, cut in half, thinly sliced
- 5 scallions, finely chopped (white and green parts)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy mayonnaise (such as Follow Your Heart Vegenaise or Spectrum Organics Eggless Mayo)
- 2 tsp of whole-grain mustard
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 1 tsp dried dill weed
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Steam potatoes for 10-12 minutes in a 3-quart steamer. Let cool.
- In a large bowl combine cooled potatoes with the onion, carrots, celery, radishes, and scallions. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, dill weed, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper. Whisk thoroughly.
- Add the dressing mixture to the potatoes and stir gently until well combined. If the potato salad seems dry you can add a little more mayonnaise as necessary.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving.