By Nava Atlas
Sometimes simple can be sublime, as in the case of this basic side dish. Roasting brings out the special flavor of asparagus like nothing else can.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 12 to 16 ounces slender asparagus
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon white or black sesame seeds
- Salt or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 400 to 425º F, depending on how hot it runs, or if you have something compatible in the oven at the same time.
Trim any woody bottoms from the asparagus, and peel the bottom halves of the stalks if desired. Cut the asparagus spears in half crosswise. Place them in a mixing bowl and drizzle with the oil; toss quickly to coat.
Arrange the asparagus spears in a single layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes, or until the asparagus is just tender when pierced with a fork.
Remove from the oven, and arrange on a serving plate. Sprinkle on the sesame seeds, and season to taste with salt and Bragg’s, and freshly ground pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Click here for more asparagus recipes.